American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having the eyes wide-open, as in infatuation, wonder, or grief: "Didn't she have a hundred moon-eyed ninnies after her in Texas?” ( Zane Grey).
- adj. Able to see well at night.
- adj. Moonblind.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affected with mooneye; having eyes affected by the moon, or supposed to be so affected.
- Dim-eyed; purblind.
- Noting certain fishes, as the Hyodontidæ or mooneyes.
- Having feathers marked towards the ends with rounded or oval spots, as in the spangled Hamburg breeds of fowls.
- adj. having wide open eyes
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having eyes affected by the moon; moonblind; dim-eyed; purblind.
- Germanic: moon + to eye; parallel to the cognate, yet non-synonymous Dutch maanoog (Wiktionary)
“From what I know of the guy, he wrote some excellent stories, which taught writers that they didn't need to write stories about square-jawed astronauts staring moon-eyed at extra-solar landscapes.”
“They are not sexy, glittery, or buff, and they are certainly not moon-eyed teenagers.”
“She is moon-eyed and annoying from start to finish.”
“If you are (a) a professional comic-book creator and (b) fairly a moon-eyed fan of New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, then your artistic mission becomes clear: You must pay tribute to her in cartoon form.”
“At one point during surgery, up to three of Zac Efron's hairs went slightly out of place – marking the most distressing point of his entire moon-eyed life so far.”
“The two moon-eyed wallabies in the cab were far too engrossed in each other to so much as glance at the occupants of the wagon, much less at the lumpy cargo it carried.”
“Call me a moon-eyed dreamer: I still believe the work of the serious writer will be recognized for what it is, whether it takes place examples chosen only for clarity and expediency in Ambergris, or 351 West 52 St New York City Apt # D RIGHT NOW, dammit.”
“They are a strange group, in that they seem to maintain the respect of recalcitrant skeptics and moon-eyed believers alike.”
“Mao was your typical twentieth century despot, and only moon-eyed Communists would beg to differ.”
“Surim is getting all moon-eyed over a swamp girl again and I am endeavoring to put up with it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘moon-eyed’.
Looking for tweets for moon-eyed.