from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several dioecious vines of the closely related genera Cocculus and Menispermum, having inconspicuous flowers and red or blackish fruit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A twining plant of the genus Menispermum, eponymous of the Menispermae or moonseed family
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A climbing plant of the genus Menispermum; -- so called from the crescentlike form of the seeds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Menispermum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. plant of the family Menispermaceae having red or black fruit with crescent- or ring-shaped seeds
From its lunate seeds.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Germanic: moon + seed; parallel to the cognate, yet non-synonymous Dutch maanzaad (Wiktionary)