American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several dioecious vines of the closely related genera Cocculus and Menispermum, having inconspicuous flowers and red or blackish fruit.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Menispermum.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A climbing plant of the genus Menispermum; -- so called from the crescentlike form of seeds.
- n. plant of the family Menispermaceae having red or black fruit with crescent- or ring-shaped seeds
- Germanic: moon + seed; parallel to the cognate, yet non-synonymous Dutch maanzaad (Wiktionary)
- From its lunate seeds. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Dakota dug the yellow root of the moonseed plant for medicinal purposes, for healing.”
“If there had even been a false hope that a nanotech antidote or something to stop the moonseed could be discovered, then I would be more willing to become emotionally attached to the characters and scenery that is being destroyed.”
“He also collected Chondrodendron iquitanum, one of the curare plants brought back from the Canelos Quichua by Richard Gill, as well as two species of Abuta, a related genus in the moonseed family.”
“In the western Amazon, however, virtually every report suggested that arrow poisons were made from species of Chondrodendron and related genera in the moonseed family.”
“When she finished she picked up a trailing vine of moonseed.”
“You see it on cultivated plums, grapes, and apples, but never in any such perfection as on moonseed and black haws in the woods.”
“She learned the uses and prices of the plant, and also made drawings of cohosh, moonseed and bloodroot.”
“Monterey cypress monthly advice moon-flower moonseed morning-glory, perennial morus species mounding-up trees mountain ash mountain laurel moving large trees muck”
“On the wooded slopes there are the white fruits of the baneberry on its quaintly-shaped red stalks, the pretty fruit clusters of the moonseed and the smilax.”
“Throw your vegetables in it, put some, er, moonseed on the battered chunks and stir-fry for a few minutes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘moonseed’.
Looking for tweets for moonseed.