from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Obsolete spelling of doubt.
- v. To put out; quench; extinguish; douse.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To put out.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put out; quench; extinguish; douse.
- n. An earlier spelling of doubt.
- n. Simplified spellings of doubt, doubtful.
From Middle English doute ("doubt"). More at doubt. (Wiktionary)
Blend of do and out, from Middle English don ut ("do out"). Compare don, doff, dup. (Wiktionary)