from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A protective drip made of stone, as on a cornice over a door or window. Also called hoodmold.
- n. Calcium carbonate in the form of stalactites or stalagmites.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A protective moulding over a door or window that allows rain to drip away from the structure
- n. stalactites and stalagmites collectively
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A drip, when made of stone. See drip, 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, a projecting molding or cornice over a doorway, window, etc., to prevent rain-water from trickling down.
- n. A filtering-stone: so called by seamen.
- n. Same as stalagmite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the form of calcium carbonate found in stalactites and stalagmites
- n. a protective drip that is made of stone
Sorry, no etymologies found.