from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Exempt from customs duties: duty-free merchandise.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a region or establishment in which imported goods are exempt from customs duties: a duty-free port; a duty-free shop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. exempt from duty, especially from customs duty
- adj. of or pertaining to such goods
- n. A duty-free article, especially part of the allowance of such goods allowed to be imported.
- n. A shop where duty-free goods can be bought.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Free from tax or duty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. exempt from duty
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Yet the two divisions have opened fewer than 30 stores internationally between them, mostly small, duty-free shops.
If one adheres to that philosophy, then it's a duty to finish a child's meal, and duty-bound eating should be duty-free eating.
The measures on offer, including duty-free, quota-free access to developed country markets and improved rules of origin, did not come close to addressing the fundamental injustices in the global trading system.
John Constantine tries to trick a demon, talks to the dead, and may finally find time to enjoy his duty-free whiskey.
Under the proposed agreement, up to 65 percent of the value of a vehicle can be sourced in low-wage nations like China and still qualify for the FTA's duty-free access.
If you do want to bring home some duty-free hooch or scent, grab it last thing when you land in Australia.
“If you do want to bring home some duty-free hooch or scent, grab it last thing when you land in Australia.”
And another building that caught my eye was that there was a duty-free HYPER mart you could shop in.
The items listed are already approved to enter duty-free.
She says the Obama administration is asking Congress to extend those duty-free imports on certain goods for another ten years.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.