from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Difficulty in speaking, usually evidenced by hoarseness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A difficulty in producing vocal sounds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A difficulty in producing vocal sounds; enfeebled or depraved voice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, difficulty in producing vocal sounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. speech disorder attributable to a disorder of phonation
With spasmodic dysphonia, which is caused by the involuntary movement of muscles in the larynx, Botox injections can relax those muscles in the same way it relaxes the muscles in the furrowed foreheads of those who use it for cosmetic reasons.
Botox is also used in treating spasmodic dysphonia.
In addition to BEB and spasmodic dysphonia, Botox is used against nearly all of the dystonias.
The dysphonia that he has will probably prevent him from running for public office ever again.
BLOCK: For decades, Linda Thompson has had a severe vocal disorder that was first diagnosed as hysteric dysphonia.
Robert F, Kennedy suffers from a vocal disorder known as spasmodic dysphonia. 15,5500 people in this country are afflicted with the condition.
I am a 48 yr old college prof who has had strangled voice dysphonia for ten years.
From her official biography: In 1998, Diane was diagnosed with spasmodic dysphonia, a neurological condition that causes strained, difficult speech.
- M.R. Linda Thompson, Fashionably Late (Rounder): One of the greatest singers in the history of recorded folk music, Ms. Thompson absented herself from the business for 17 years due in part to a prolonged bout with hysterical dysphonia (a psychological condition that renders its victims unable to vocalize).
Perhaps someone with spastic dysphonia in his differential diagnosis.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.