from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Made of earth or clay: an earthen fortification; an earthen pot.
- adj. Earthly; worldly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Made of earth or mud.
- adj. Made of clay (especially said of pottery).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Made of earth; made of burnt or baked clay, or other like substances.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made of earth; made of clay or other earthy substance: as, an earthen vessel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. made of earth (or baked clay)
Used before 1325 as erthen, from eorthene, presumably from Middle English erthe, eorthe ("earth"). (Wiktionary)