from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for measuring voltage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a device used to detect and measure static electricity; an electroscope
- n. a precision voltmeter that draws almost no current from the circuit
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the quantity or intensity of electricity; also, sometimes, and less properly, applied to an instrument which indicates the presence of electricity (usually called an electroscope).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for measuring difference of electrostatic potential between two conductors. See potential.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meter to measure electrostatic voltage differences; draws no current from the source
electro- + -meter (Wiktionary)