from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various types of small cranes that project over the side of a ship and are used to hoist boats, anchors, and cargo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spar formerly used on board of ships, as a crane to hoist the flukes of the anchor to the top of the bow, without injuring the sides of the ship.
- n. a crane, often working in pairs and usually made of steel, used to lower things over an edge of a long drop off, such as lowering a maintenance trapeze down a building or launching a lifeboat over the side of a ship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A spar formerly used on board of ships, as a crane to hoist the flukes of the anchor to the top of the bow, without injuring the sides of the ship; -- called also the fish davit.
- n. Curved arms of timber or iron, projecting over a ship's side of stern, having tackle to raise or lower a boat, swing it in on deck, rig it out for lowering, etc.; -- called also boat davits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, one of a pair of projecting pieces of wood or iron on the side or stern of a vessel, used for suspending or lowering and hoisting a boat, by means of sheaves and pulleys.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a crane-like device (usually one of a pair) for suspending or lowering equipment (as a lifeboat)
How appalling to think that with a few more boats -- and the ship was provided with that particular kind of davit that would launch more boats -- there would have been no decision of that kind to make!
"The davit-tackle carried away, and they are rigging the falls," he explained a minute or so later, and then went under to head off another attack.
And what a shame it is being unleashed on one of the greatest presidents in our history. davit
Listening to Cheney is like listening to Osama Bin Laden, they both have the same extremist view points and both should be in jail. davit
"The davit tackle carried away, and they are rigging the falls," he explained, a minute or so later, and then went under to head off another attack.
This is just the Good Ole Boys of RNC wanting to get rid of an outsider that doesnt bow to them. davit
Her level of ignorance and stupidity is the stuff of legends. davit
An announcement over the loudspeaker moments earlier had warned sailors to stand clear of the twenty-six-foot motor whaleboat suspended on a davit about ten feet above the starboard deck.
Hey, I suffered credit card fraud about a month ago and had to do the affa davit cancel/replace card thing...
The stern davit cable snaps, the inboard/outboard motor sinks to the bottom, and the front davit holds up the bow, making the boat look like a breaching whale.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.