from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to detect the presence, sign, and in some configurations the magnitude of an electric charge by the mutual attraction or repulsion of metal foils or pith balls.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a simple device that detects the presence of an electric charge by the mutual repulsion of metal foils or pith balls
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for detecting the presence of electricity, or changes in the electric state of bodies, or the species of electricity present, as by means of pith balls, and the like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for observing or detecting the existence of free electricity, and, in general, for determining its kind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. measuring instrument that detects electric charge; two gold leaves diverge owing to repulsion of charges with like sign
electro- + -scope (Wiktionary)