Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The process or art of coating metals and other materials with an adherent film of metal, in a bath containing a solution of the metal, by means of the electrolytic action of an electric current from a battery or dynamo. In simple forms of electroplating apparatus, the bath containing the metallic solution may form the battery, as in plating with copper. The more common plan is to employ a current obtained from some source outside the bath. Table-cutlery or-ware, building- or car-fixtures, lamps, etc., to be electroplated, are suspended by wires from a metal rod laid across the top of the bath and connected with the negative pole of the battery, this terminal of the current forming the cathode. The silver, nickel, copper, etc., to be deposited is suspended in like manner from a rod connected with the positive pole of the battery, the terminal forming the anode. (See electrolysis, electrometallurgy.) The deposition of metals by electrolysis forms a part of several arts, as in electrotyping; but as in these the film of metal deposited in the bath is not adherent, they are described under separate heads. Electroplating is strictly the covering of a metal with a metallic film permanently attached to it, as in nickel-plating, plating telegraph-wires with copper, and table-ware with silver. See electrotype, galvanoplastic, galvanoglyph, galvanograph, and nickel-plating.
- n. The deposit itself, or the surface, obtained by means of the process explained above.
- v. present participle of electroplate.
- n. A process of coating the surfaces of a metal object with a layer of a different metal through electrochemical means, usually to exploit different properties of the materials.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The art or process of depositing a coating (commonly) of silver, gold, or nickel on an inferior metal, by means of an electric current. The metal to be deposited on an article is usually used as the anode and the article to be plated as the cathode, in an electrolyte solution in which the plating metal is the cation. The process is conducted in a tank called an electroplating bath, which holds the electrolyte solution.
“Then there is lead that makes batteries and Cobalt Sulfate which is used in electroplating, as coloring agents for ceramics, and as drying agents in inks and paints, and of course Diazoaminobenzene, a chemical used as an intermediate in the production of dyes and to promote adhesion of natural rubber to steel which is said to be listed as, “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen,” whatever that means.”
“Ten years later he may explain that he's a chemical engineer specializing in the construction of corrosion-resistant structures, such as electroplating baths and pickling tanks for stainless steel.”
“The straightforward way to do this sort of thing is to deposit a thin layer of silver on it, the way they do telescope mirrors, then use that as a conducting surface for electroplating (which needs a special electrolyte).”
“So, the final costing of the jewelry will have to incorporate these electroplating costs as well.”
“This is usually achieved by electroplating the jewelry with rhodium.”
“Spilling out from above that she's interviewed the household, the three anything the ancestry's way so he helps to be two landfills at often, electroplating his respective blanket while he first needs to obey phoebe. baby bjorn diaper bag.”
“It was an episode that had occurred in his electroplating establishment that suggested to him his unique weapon of revenge.”
“He started his electroplating establishment early in the spring of”
“He had stumbled upon the secret in his old electroplating shop on Telegraph Avenue in the city of Oakland.”
“He merely re-wired his vat and went on electroplating.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘electroplating’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for electroplating.