Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or art of managing engines or artillery.
- n. Engines collectively; mechanism; machinery; especially, artillery; instruments of war.
- n. Any carefully prepared scheme to compass an end, especially a bad end; machinations; devices; system of artifice.
- n. Engineering.
- n. archaic Machinery made up of engines; instruments of war.
- n. archaic The act or art of managing engines, or artillery.
- n. archaic Any device or contrivance; machinery; structure or arrangement.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or art of managing engines, or artillery.
- n. Engines, in general; instruments of war.
- n. Any device or contrivance; machinery; structure or arrangement.
- n. machinery consisting of engines collectively
- engine + -ery (Wiktionary)
“Both he and my father believed in the efficacy of this kind of enginery, but, as the case happened, the beau chevalier was down low enough at the moment his highborn lady listened to the song.”
“The same tremendous enginery was again brought into play in the case of Sirven.”
“The basic enginery is there already, and Blizzard's presence in the field makes me think it won't be very long until this happens.”
“They must perish, and there is no over-god to stop or to mollify this hideous enginery that grinds and thunders, and takes them up into its terrific system.”
“I will expound to you — as I alone can — the secret of the enginery that effected the Rattleborough miracle — the one, the true, the admitted, the undisputed, the indisputable miracle, which put a definite end to infidelity among the Rattleburghers and converted to the orthodoxy of the grandames all the carnal-minded who had ventured to be sceptical before.”
“Via Warren Ellis, uma ideia fascinante: A kind of flying Hawaii, or anti-gravitational Micronesia, with tanned deck-hands leaping across aerodynamic tailfins to the soundtrack of ceaseless enginery, the helicopter archipelago would act as an escape hatch from traditional, nation-state sovereignty.”
“We must give Webster all the thunder-and-lightning circulars and advertising enginery that is needful.”
“The machinery of all my nature; the whole enginery of this human mill: the boiler, which I take to be the heart, is fit to burst.”
“Straightway Burton buried himself in astrological and cabalistic books 56, studied the uncanny arts, and became learned in “dark spells and devilish enginery,” but his own prophecies generally proved to be of the Moseilima type; that is to say, the opposite invariably happened — a fatality that pursued him to the end of life.”
“The houses were rude and small, constructed of hewn planks, and stood in areas, around which were thrown fences made also of plank, serving as very effectual stockades against any sudden attack, and bidding defiance to the simple enginery of the natives.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘enginery’.
Words used quite often in steampunk
I will also accept mechanisms, machine elements, contrivances, and engines.
machine, machines, Machine, Machines, Rage Against the ..., machine quilting, simple machine, Turing machine, turing machine, machine element, the heart-attack ..., ghost in the machine and 34 more...
Oh, that little smiling teacher tile in my Scrabble app. He teaches me so much.
Looking for tweets for enginery.