from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Occurring annually. Used of the prevailing northerly summer winds of the Mediterranean.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to a dry north wind which blows in the eastern Mediterranean.
- n. A dry north wind which blows in the eastern Mediterranean.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Periodical; annual; -- applied to winds which annually blow from the north over the Mediterranean, esp. the eastern part, for an irregular period during July and August.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Recurring every year; occurring at stated times of the year; periodical.
From Latin etēsius, from Greek etēsios, from etos, year; see wet-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin etesius ("annual"), from Ancient Greek ἐτήσιος (etēsios, "annual"), from ἔτος (etos, "year"). (Wiktionary)