American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A skin eruption accompanying certain infectious diseases.
- n. A disease, such as measles or scarlet fever, accompanied by a skin eruption.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any diffuse or multiple affection of the skin marked by inflammation or simple hyperemia, or by effusion of lymph, or excessive exfoliation of epidermis, but usually restricted to skin-affections belonging to zymotic fevers. Also exanthem.
- n. A zymotic fever of which a skin-affection is normally one of the symptoms, as scarlatina or measles.
- n. In botany, same as die-back.
- n. alternative spelling of exanthem.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) An efflorescence or discoloration of the skin; an eruption or breaking out, as in measles, smallpox, scarlatina, and the like diseases; -- sometimes limited to eruptions attended with fever.
- n. eruption on the skin occurring as a symptom of a disease
- Late Latin exanthēma, from Greek, eruption, from exanthein, to burst forth : ex-, ex- + anthein, to blossom (from anthos, flower). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Several times we observed a faint icteric coloring and in some cases the appearance on neck and breast of an exanthema resembling measles.”
“The post doctoral fellow will conduct a project exploring the pathophysiology of drug allergies (exanthema, toxic epidermal necrolysis …).”
“Comparative resistance of San Miguel sea lion virus and vesicular exanthema of swine virus to chemical disinfectants”
“A single case of the paralytic form of EHV-1 was reported from the United Kingdom, which also reported EHV-3 coital exanthema in a Thoroughbred stallion, a donkey, and one other horse on separate premises.”
“•GORE aliquantum repellitur: & ficuti omne vivum a tepido refocillatur, nimis vero calido propelli - tur; fic a calpre Scabies. & exanthema intenditHf,”
“No payment shall be made, as provided in this section, unless the director has determined that the owner of such an animal has complied with the provisions of this section and other applicable provisions of this chapter and rules and regulations of the division established thereunder and that the owner or his representative has not, in the opinion of the director, by willful act or neglect, contributed to the spread of vesicular stomatitis or vesicular exanthema.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘exanthema’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
flora-nce and -anth-
Looking for tweets for exanthema.