from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Botany The outermost layer of the fruit wall. Also called epicarp.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The outermost layer of the pericarp of fruits; the skin or epicarp.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The outer portion of a fruit, as the flesh of a peach or the rind of an orange. See Illust. of drupe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the outer layer of a pericarp when it consists of two dissimilar layers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. outermost layer of the pericarp of fruits as the skin of a peach or grape
exo- + Ancient Greek καρπός ("fruit"). (Wiktionary)