American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A fine-grained, light-colored igneous rock, composed chiefly of feldspar and quartz.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compact, very hard rock, almost flinty in texture. made up of quartz and orthoclase feldspar intimately mixed. It is a rock of eruptive origin, occurring in large masses in the older part of the geological series, from the Silurian up to the Jurassic, in the form of bosses and dikes, or in regular volcanic overflows. Also called
- n. mineralogy A fine grained volcanic extrusive rock, generally light in color, composed of felsic minerals.
- n. geology Any light-colored volcanic rock whose true mineralogy is not yet determined.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) A finegrained rock, flintlike in fracture, consisting essentially of orthoclase feldspar with occasional grains of quartz.
- fels(par) + -ite1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The reason I wanted to see this beach is because the book said that if, conditions were right, the sound of the waves hitting this unique shoreline of flat, shingle-like “pink rhyolite and felsite bedrock” makes a tinkling, bell-like sound.”
“It exists in a felsite dyke immediately on the coast.”
“The lode is a large irregular one of pure arsenical pyrites, existing in a felsite dike near the sea coast.”
“Trachyte — A variety of felsite superficially closely resembling rhyolite.”
“The radium-bearing minerals are torbernite and autunite (hydrous copper-uranium and calcium-uranium phosphates), and are found in dark felsite dikes near their intersections with east-west gold-silver-quartz veins.”
“The blocks were lava and hard felsite, measuring one and a half to three feet.”
“The stones themselves were felsite, which abounds in the locality.”
“We found, besides, a few cores of felsite and some shapeless flakes and several fragments of large metates.”
“The rough felsite blocks of which they were composed were surprisingly large, considering the diminutive size of the cabins.”
“The designs were rudely pecked on the moderately smooth felsite cliffs on a nearly perpendicular wall in the foot-hills, about forty feet above the bed of the arroyo, or gulch.”
‘felsite’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for felsite.