from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A weekday on a church calendar on which no feast is observed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A weekday on a Church calendar on which no feast is observed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A week day, esp. a day which is neither a festival nor a fast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Roman Catholic ecclesiastical calendar, any day of the week from Monday to Friday, inclusive—that is, any day but the Jewish and the Christian sabbath: as,feria secunda, tertia, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (in Spanish speaking regions) a local festival or fair, usually in honor of some patron saint
- n. a weekday on which no festival or holiday is celebrated
Today the term feria is used to denote the days of the week with the exception of Sunday and Saturday.
This past Wednesday at the Healing Mass at St. Alban's, there was no saint commemorated on the kalendar for that day what we call a feria, so we had a votive Mass for the Sick.
The old use of the word feria, for feast day, is lost, except in the derivative feriatio, which is equivalent to our of obligation.
FYI, the "perya" is the annual fair, in Spanish "feria," (often held during the Christmas season).
The feria is a regional celebration, usually of a particular town or village.
It will save you lots of "feria" and will strengthen your warrior heart.
Como the nadie escapa que estas empresas no atraviesan su mejor momento, sus representantes tursticos apostaban ayer por una mayor presencia en los canales de comercializacin on line, para lo que han firmado varios acuerdos de colaboracin criminal varias compaas de este tipo durante los das que ha durado la feria de turismo de Londres.
Taking a stroll in the Plaza Principal on the first Sunday of the fair, I can see why locals call this singular event la feria del pueblo.
You should have heard my teenage daughters make fun of the way I first tried to pronounce feria!
Just this morning, the French agency IMedia has revealed, at the meeting of the "fourth feria" the cardinal members of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith have developed a first platform for the beginnig of the dialogue with the Lefebvrians.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.