from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An athlete who plays a position on the field in a sport, especially an outfielder in baseball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A player of the fielding side, whose task is to gather the ball after the batsman has hit it, to catch the batsman out, or to prevent him from scoring.
- n. A defensive player in the field.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ball payer who stands out in the field to catch or stop balls.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In base-ball, cricket, etc., one whose duty is to catch or stop balls; specifically, in base-ball, any one of the players in the field, and especially one of the three players who stand behind and at the right and left respectively of second base. See base-ball.
- n. A dog trained to the pursuit of game in the field.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the cricket team that is fielding rather than batting
- n. a member of the baseball team that is in the field instead of at bat
Sorry, no etymologies found.