from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports The player at bat in cricket and baseball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A player of the batting side now on the field
- n. The player now receiving strike; the striker
- n. Any player selected for his or her team principally to bat, as opposed to a bowler
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The one who wields the bat in cricket, baseball, etc.; in baseball, the batsman is usually called the batter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who wields the bat in base-ball, cricket, and similar games; a batter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (baseball) a ballplayer who is batting
Sorry, no etymologies found.