from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A whistlelike mouthpiece for certain wind instruments, such as a recorder or flageolet, that channels the breath toward the sounding edge of a side opening.
- n. An object similar to a fipple in an organ pipe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The block (typically of wood) that forms the floor of the windway in a wind instrument.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stopper, as in a wind instrument of music.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The under lip.
- n. A stopper, as at the mouth of a musical wind-instrument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wooden plug forming a flue pipe (as the mouthpiece of a recorder)
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)