American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A whistlelike mouthpiece for certain wind instruments, such as a recorder or flageolet, that channels the breath toward the sounding edge of a side opening.
- n. An object similar to a fipple in an organ pipe.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The under lip.
- n. A stopper, as at the mouth of a musical wind-instrument.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A stopper, as in a wind instrument of music.
- n. a wooden plug forming a flue pipe (as the mouthpiece of a recorder)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Essentially half of a whistle, stiff side flaps loosely cover the nostrils and mouth; air blown from the nose travels down toward the mouth through a fipple, and the mouth forms the whistle's resonant chamber.”
“I did a lot of reading on the Web, learning terms like chiff and fipple.”
“The Clark Original is a conical barrel – the alternate is a cylinder – with a fipple, or mouthpiece, of wood inserted in the squared top.”
“Musicians sat in the corner: a jar-drum, a tambourine, trumpets, and a fipple flute.”
“One more to go later next month and then it just depends on whether or not I want a fipple on my fake foob or not.”
“A Flote by Any Other Name program, featuring performances by Naomi Senzer and Larry Zukof on transverse flute and fipple flute, and more. nmsmusicschool. org Laura Ouimette”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fipple’.
Good for intermediate and advanced spellers and anybody who wants to use words with precision
Yes. Yes it does.
If you've ever played the game "Balderdash," you may have heard of the 'Weird Words' category. This category lists some pretty strange words... these are a few examples of word you may come across ...
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
These are words that I enjoy because they are unique, rare, long, or just cool.
Phrases I am encountering in grad work that make me want to hit my head against a wall
cartographies of ..., power-accruing ac..., narratee, ecofeminism, beyond mere consc..., dichotomistic, postmethod condition, conpenetration, emotionalist, uncoupling, positionality sta..., age-mates and 23 more...
Looking for tweets for fipple.