from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large motor vehicles that carry firefighters and equipment to a fire and support extinguishing operations, as by pumping water. Also called fire truck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vehicle used by firefighters to pump water to fight a fire. Typically, a fire engine carries a supply of water and has the ability to connect to an external water supply.
- n. Any fire apparatus, such as a fire truck or fire engine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a portable forcing pump, usually on wheels, for throwing water to extinguish fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An early name for the steam-engine.
- n. An engine designed to throw a continuous stream of water through a hose upon a conflagration, for the purpose of extinguishing it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various large trucks that carry firemen and equipment to the site of a fire
Sorry, no etymologies found.