from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various birds, such as the Baltimore oriole, having bright scarlet or orange plumage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scarlet tanager, a species of bird with taxonomic name Piranga olivacea
- n. The Baltimore oriole, a species of bird with taxonomic name Icterus galbula
- n. The vermilion flycatcher, a species of bird with taxonomic name Pyrocephalus rubinus
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Baltimore oriole.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A popular name of the Baltimore oriole, Icterus galbula. See oriole.
- n. The vermilion flycatcher, Pyrocephalus rubineus. one of the South American fire-crowned flycatchers, represented in the southwestern United States by the subspecies P. rubineus mexicanus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the male is bright red with black wings and tail
- n. eastern subspecies of northern oriole
- n. tropical American flycatcher found as far north as southern Texas and Arizona; adult male has bright scarlet and black plumage
So-called because of their bright red or orange plumage (Wiktionary)