from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small New World passerine birds of the family Thraupidae, often having brightly colored plumage in the males and usually living in forests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several American passerine birds, of the family Thraupidae, that inhabit forests.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous species of bright-colored singing birds belonging to Tanagra, Piranga, and allied genera. The scarlet tanager (Piranga erythromelas) and the summer redbird (Piranga rubra) are common species of the United States.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Some or any tanagrine bird; a member of the Tanagridæ.
- n. Any finch of the genus Paroaria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous New World woodland birds having brightly colored males
New Latin tanagra, alteration of Portuguese tangará, from Tupi tanagorá.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin Tanagra, from Portuguese tangara, from Old Tupi tangara. (Wiktionary)