from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. cap See Foolscap.
- adj. cap paper, not folded. See under Paper.
- n. A kind of low-crowned cap formerly worn by all classes in England, and continued in London after disuse elsewhere; -- hence, a citizen of London.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cap with a low flat crown.
- n. Hence— A person wearing such a cap.
- n. Less commonly, the toque worn by both men and women of the wealthier classes in the sixteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flat woolen cap with a stiff peak
Sorry, no etymologies found.