American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An orange-red compound, C20H12O5, that exhibits intense fluorescence in alkaline solution and is used in medicine for diagnostic purposes, in oceanography as a tracer, and as a textile dye.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The anhydrid of resorcin phthalein, C20H12O5. It is a coal-tar product, but is little used in dyeing. From it are derived the eosins.
- n. chemistry Any of a class of yellow xanthene dyes which are visible when highly diluted; used forensically to detect traces of blood, and in analytical chemistry as an indicator in silver nitrate titrations
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A yellowish red, crystalline substance, C20H12O5, produced by heating together phthalic anhydride and resorcin; -- so called, from the very brilliant yellowish green
fluorescenceof its alkaline solutions. It has acid properties, and its salts of the alkalies are known to the trade under the name of uranin.
- n. a yellow dye that is visible even when highly diluted; used as an absorption indicator when silver nitrate solution is added to sodium chloride in order to precipitate silver chloride (turns pink when no chloride ions are left in solution and negative fluorescein ions are then absorbed)
- fluoresce + -in (Wiktionary)
“Most of the time, the diagnosis can be made based on a clinical exam, although a test called fluorescein angiography is often performed to assess the severity.”
“Semrock has released four optical filter sets for fluorescence imaging that enable increased brightness or enhanced contrast when imaging labels fluorescein”
“They used a technique known as fluorescein angiography, which involves injecting a special dye into the arm intravenously and photographing its passage through the blood vessels of the retina.”
“In the new study led by Dr Nick Beare of the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, researchers examined the retinas of 34 children admitted to the hospital with cerebral malaria, by using a technique known as fluorescein angiography.”
“The traditional means of visualizing the retina is known as fluorescein angiography.”
“Fluorescent indicators for cytosolic calcium based on rhodamine and fluorescein chromophores," J. Biol.”
“The good news is the fluorescein angiogram part of the test looked great.”
“Next, he performed a fluorescein angiogram test, which examines the microcirculation and integrity of the retinal blood vessels at the back of the eye.”
“Ha Ha Ha...what makes coolant solutions glow green is probably fluorescein, indeed.”
“So when I was leaving the lab for good in the fall of 1991 for my current desk job, I took a small bottle of fluorescein solution as a memento.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fluorescein’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
Thanks to everyone who added to this list. (I moved it to a new URL, so all the words added on the first day are credited to me—sorry about that.)
(Here’s the original list with a slo...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for fluorescein.