from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device equipped with a fluorescent screen on which the internal structures of an optically opaque object, such as the human body, may be continuously viewed as shadowy images formed by the differential transmission of x-rays through the object. Also called roentgenoscope.
- transitive v. To examine the interior of (an object) with a fluoroscope.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a device used to view continuous live X-ray images on a fluorescent screen
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for observing or exhibiting fluorescence.
- n. A fluorescent screen, with hood to protect the eyes, used for observing the shadows cast by objects placed in the path of the X rays.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aparatus designed for observing the effect of the Röntgen rays by means of their action on a fluorescent substance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an X-ray machine that combines an X-ray source and a fluorescent screen to enable direct observation
Sorry, no etymologies found.