from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. football (association football) (soccer in US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)
- n. The game or sport of football, usually Australian rules football or rugby league, but not soccer
- n. the ball used in a game of footy.
- adj. Having foots, or settlings.
- adj. poor; mean
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having foots, or settlings
- adj. Poor; mean.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having foots or settlings: as, footy oil, molasses, etc.
- Poor; mean; worthless; trashy.
- n. Any one or anything slightly valued.
- n. A foot-soldier; an infantryman.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A well-struck ball in Australia - where the game is called "footy" - rotates end-over-end and might not clear 10 feet in height.
What should I do tonight .. (even if the footy is on) ...
Why do the public still fund these elitist sporting facilities anyway ... if we're getting out of trains ... surely we also can also bin hyped stadiums for brain dead yobs to go watch "footy" - MATE!
Momentum in footy can appear a bit like a riptide: the sea and the shore pounding against one another seem relatively stable with a little give-and-take until you’re suddenly sucked out to sea.
For all their sports success throughout the world, AEG just hasn't done enough, in my opinion, to enlighten American sports fans who don't know what they're missing with Australian rules football, also known as "footy."
But what will Spurs or West Ham call the footy ground?
No idea about this thing called footy but a charity suggestion: Bear rescue in China.
"He's carried an emotional load over the last six weeks and we've mutually come to the agreement that his footy is the part that has to do the talking, that's what he has committed to do and as a football club that's what we're committed to do."
Victorians don't appear ready to embrace woman calling the footy on television.
Our guys who call footy have played a lot of footy between them. triplem. com.au
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.