from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Dazzling or stunning in effect.
- adj. Medicine Occurring suddenly and severely. Used of a disease.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having an awesome and overwhelming effect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sudden and overwhelming in effect; like a lightning-stroke.
- Specifically, in pathology, beginning in a very sudden and severe form: said of disease.
French, from present participle of foudroyer, to strike with lightning, from foudre, lightning, from Old French fouldre, from Latin fulgur, from fulgēre, to flash; see bhel-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)