from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anatomy The tongue.
- n. Zoology A tonguelike structure in the labium of an insect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The tongue, or lingua, of an insect.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The tongue, or lingua, of an insect. See hymenoptera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the tongue.
- n. In entomology, an appendage of the ligula, situated at its tip, which may be median and single or paired with a fellow, and may be placed between lateral paraglossæ. See cut under mouth-part.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mobile mass of muscular tissue covered with mucous membrane and located in the oral cavity
Greek glōssa, tongue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek. (Wiktionary)