from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various brightly colored fishes of the family Mullidae of warm seas, having two sensory barbels on the chin. Also called red mullet, surmullet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many brightly coloured fishes, of the family Mullidae, having two barbels on the chin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fish of the genus Upeneus, inhabiting the Gulf of Mexico. It is allied to the surmullet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The European file-fish, Balistes capriscus.
- n. A West Indian and South American mulloid fish, Upeneus maculatus, of a red color with bluish longitudinal lines on the sides of the head and three black blotches on the body above the lateral line.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. brightly colored tropical fishes with chin barbels
It is suggested that younger children, whose developing nervous systems are susceptible to damage by contaminants, obtain omega-3 from species such as goatfish, anchovies or pilchard.
And while my identification skills are at the "purple one with yellow stripes" level, I do also enjoy the evocative names: three-stripe fusilier, diagonal-banded sweetlips, filamented flake, oblong silver biddy and freckled goatfish, not to mention the charming category of odd-shaped bottom dwellers.
Other important components of the fringing reef ecosystem include algae (brown, red and green), marine invertebrates (shrimp, lobster, crabs and sea urchins) and fishes (parrotfish, wrasses, damselfish, surgeonfish, goatfish, jacks and sharks).
The effects of eating ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes, such as certain mullet, goatfish, tangs, damsels and rabbitfish, are believed to be similar to LSD, and may include vivid and terrifying auditory and visual hallucinations.
The goatfish of the Red Sea swim in groups of a dozen.
Group foraging is so ingrained in goatfish that individuals kept in separate (but adjacent) tanks will synchronize their movements even if they have never hunted.
I have had the swordfish, the Alsatian thin crust pizza now written about everywhere it seems, the pine-nut crusted halibut, the rosemary baked chicken, the Roman-style baby lamb and the goatfish linguini. each dish was superb, cooked to perfection, flaorful and creative.
It is almost as if the rarefied air of the Capricorn goatfish actually “needs” the soft gentleness of the Libran.
The goatfish groups that Prof Bshary and his team studied spent the majority of their day chasing prey.
When a single goatfish chased its prey, the rest of the group worked together as a team to ensure its success.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.