from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The bearer of a gonfalon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who bears the gonfalon
- n. an official, particularly a chief magistrate of a mediaeval Italian republic; the bearer of the republic's gonfalon
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An officer at Rome who bears the standard of the Church.
- n. The chief magistrate of any one of several republics in mediæveal Italy.
- n. A Turkish general, and standard keeper.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The bearer of a gonfalon; a chief standard-bearer.
- n. In the middle ages, the title of the chief magistrate of Florence and other Italian republics, elected by the people.
French, from Italian gonfaloniere, from gonfalone, gonfalon; see gonfalon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)