from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Upper Southern U.S. Variant of gaum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of gaum.
- n. axle grease
- v. To daub with gorm, or with anything sticky.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Axle grease. See gome.
- transitive v. To daub, as the hands or clothing, with gorm; to daub with anything sticky.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as gaum.
The ‘r’ found in this spelling is a vowel-lengthening device common in non-rhotic dialects of English. (Wiktionary)