from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. People or society at a local level rather than at the center of major political activity. Often used with the.
- n.pl. The groundwork or source of something.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. People and society at the local level rather than at the national centre of political activity
- n. The essential foundation or source of something
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the essential foundation or source
- n. the common people at a local level (as distinguished from the centers of political activity)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.