American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. People or society at a local level rather than at the center of major political activity. Often used with the.
- n. The groundwork or source of something.
- n. idiomatic People and society at the local level rather than at the national centre of political activity
- n. The essential foundation or source of something
- n. the essential foundation or source
- n. the common people at a local level (as distinguished from the centers of political activity)
“You struck a new land in pioneer days, and you picked up money like a lot of sailors shaking out nuggets from the grass roots in”
“Mission-oriented at the grass roots and supported by enlightened leadership from the head offices at AirLant and AirPac, the F-8 squadrons lived and dreamed fighter combat.”
“From the grass roots down," he muttered in an awestricken voice, as he swung his pick into the yielding surface.”
Looking for tweets for grass roots.