from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To pierce (something) with a weapon; to wound, to stab.
- v. To travel through something, of a weapon or sharp object.
- v. To produce a grinding or scraping sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To cut with a grating sound; to cut; to penetrate or pierce harshly.
- n. A harsh scraping or cutting; a grating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To pierce; cut.
- To grate; jar harshly.
- To act or pass cuttingly or piercingly.
- To grate; grind; scrape harshly; make a grating sound.
- n. A harsh grinding, cutting, or hacking; a harsh grating sound.
From a metathetic variation of gird ("to strike, smite, upbraid, scold, jibe"), from Middle English girden, gerden ("to strike, thrust, smite", literally "smite with a rod"), from gerd, yerd ("a rod, yard"). More at yard. (Wiktionary)