from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a breed of dog originating in Belgium and having a short, bearded muzzle. Also called Brussels griffon.
- n. Any of various wirehaired hunting dogs of a breed originating in the Netherlands in the late 19th century.
- n. Variant of griffin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of griffin (legendary creature)
- n. A breed of dog usually called the Brussels Griffon, reminiscent of the legendary creature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a European breed of rough-coated dogs, somewhat taller than the setter and of a grizzly liver color. They are used in hunting game birds. The Brussels griffon is a very small, wiry-coated, short-nosed pet dog of Belgian origin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as griffin.
- n. A Greek.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. breed of various very small compact wiry-coated dogs of Belgian origin having a short bearded muzzle
- n. breed of medium-sized long-headed dogs with downy undercoat and harsh wiry outer coat; originated in Holland but largely developed in France
- n. large vulture of southern Europe and northern Africa having pale plumage with black wings
- n. winged monster with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion
And the griffon is a proud beast He's the master of the sky.
Birds of prey such as griffon vulture, golden eagle, and short-toe eagle, are other prominent species.
His paperwork lists him as a "griffon"; though he looks like a very cute terrier to us!
Type "griffon" at the command line, if a help message is displayed you are ready to
"griffon," supposed to be the Gypoetos barbatus, the Lammer Geyer of the Swiss -- a bird of the eagle or vulture species, inhabiting the highest mountain ranges in Western Asia as well as Europe.
Flying monkey, griffon, and unicorn -- the least horrifying taxidermy creatures on display (and for sale) at Sarina Brewer's site.
• Layla, 2, a perky little Brussels griffon mix who seems to be a major cuddle bug, was left at the shelter by her owners because of what they termed a "change in lifestyle."
Today's Animal Oddity is the griffon vulture that was detained by officials in Saudi Arabia as an Israeli spy.
Today s Animal Oddity is the griffon vulture that was detained by officials in Saudi Arabia as an Israeli spy.
The griffon remained asleep and surrounded by warm friends.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.