from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A revolving stone disk used for grinding, polishing, or sharpening tools.
- n. A millstone.
- idiom keep (one's) nose to the grindstone To work hard and steadily.
- idiom put (one's) nose to the grindstone To work in earnest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An abrasive wheel for sharpening, polishing or grinding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flat, circular stone, revolving on an axle, for grinding or sharpening tools, or shaping or smoothing objects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. 1. A stone used in grinding corn; a millstone.
- n. A mill for grinding corn.
- n. A solid wheel of stone mounted on a spindle and turned by a winch-handle, by a treadle, or by machinery, used for grinding, sharpening, or polishing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a revolving stone shaped like a disk; used to grind or sharpen or polish edge tools
Sorry, no etymologies found.