from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or ceremony of breaking ground to begin a construction project.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a ceremony of breaking ground.
- adj. Characterized by originality and innovation: a groundbreaking technology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Innovative; new, different; doing something that has never been done before.
- n. A ceremony to mark the beginning of construction.
- n. The point at which construction begins.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ceremonial breaking of the ground to formally begin a construction project. It is sometimes carried out by an official who digs the first spadeful of dirt from the ground, to begin the preparatory excavation work.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before
- n. the ceremonial breaking of the ground to formally begin a construction project
Mrs. Obama said she was thrilled by passage of what she described as a groundbreaking piece of legislation.
Stelmach, who was in Abu Dhabi for the World Future Energy Summit, also signed what he called a groundbreaking economic agreement with the city's government.
Adams Golf has introduced what it calls a groundbreaking line-up of products drivers and hybrid-fairway woods.
For more on these and other revolutionary spiritual teachings of the Bab, the reader is referred to a groundbreaking new study of his writings entitled Gate of the Heart by Dr. Nader Saedi.
"It sounds like we're in groundbreaking territory," Rockies manager Clint Hurdle said.
I guess being groundbreaking is not the same as being good.
'' It looks like we're in groundbreaking territory, '' Colorado manager Clint Hurdle said.
But Serena, whose game — and outfits — are groundbreaking, is just 21.
The filmmaker Wim Wenders captures the groundbreaking modern-dance choreography of the late Pina Bausch, in what many critics are calling a groundbreaking use of 3-D film.
His products were characterized by groundbreaking design and style that, along with their technological usefulness, made them objects of intense desire by consumers around the world.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.