from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person of mixed racial descent.
- adj. Of mixed racial descent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Describing someone of mixed racial descent in a derogatory manner.
- n. A derogatory name for a person of mixed racial descent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One born of a European parent on the one side, and of a Hindu or Mohammedan on the other. Also adjective.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person of mixed European and Asiatic parentage; especially, in India, a person born of a native mother and a Portuguese or French father. See Eurasian.
- n. By extension, any half-breed; especially, one born of a European parent and a native parent of different race in the country of the latter.
- Born of mixed European and Asiatic or other native parentage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an offensive term for the offspring of parents of different races or cultures
Sorry, no etymologies found.
That he was working up his animosity against the half-caste, and that the explosion might come any time, was apparent to all.
Stapler, of the recruiting ketch Merry; Darby Shryleton, planter from Tito-Ito; Peter Gee, a half-caste Chinese pearl-buyer who ranged from Ceylon to the Paumotus, and Alfred Deacon, a visitor who had stopped off from the last steamer.
The half-caste smiled and nodded acquiescence as he folded up the money.
He held out his hand, and the half-caste took it beamingly.
"All ready?" the captain asked the engineer, a Portuguese half-caste, whose head and shoulders protruded from the small hatch just for'ard of the cabin, and who wiped the sweat from his face with a bunch of greasy waste.
He was guilty of sharp, ugly curses, and he snapped and growled at the imperturbable half-caste.
"I've seen it played," the half-caste murmured gently.
Shorty, the Japanese half-caste, clown that he was, dancing and grinning on the outskirts of the struggle, with a final grimace and hysterical giggle led the retreat across the poop and down the poop-ladder.
She sets up with a lesbian Polish plumber who is happy to say she has only come over for the money and will be bringing her 10 half-caste kids over as soon as she can, to claim benefits.
As was done in North America with children, “half-caste” or not, of the Native American people.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.