American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Offensive A person of mixed racial descent, especially a person of Native American and white parentage.
- adj. Half-blooded; hybrid. Used of animals.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is half-blooded; one descended from parents or ancestors of different races: specifically applied to persons descended from certain races of different physical characteristics, as the offspring of American Indians and whites. In this expression persons with any perceptible trace of Indian blood, whether mixed with white or with negro stock, are popularly included.
F. A. Walker.
- n. In United States politics, a member of a faction in the Republican party in the State of New York, in 1881 and the years immediately following, which opposed the portion of the party in that State which had control of the party organization: so called in derision, as being but half Republican, by the members of the opposite faction or “stalwarts.”
- n. derogatory A person of mixed racial parentage or ancestry, especially one of mixed white and American Indian parentage.
- adj. of an animal having one purebred parent; hybrid
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Half-blooded.
- n. A person who is half-blooded; the offspring of parents of different races, especially of the American Indian and the white race.
- adj. (of animals) having only one purebred parent
- n. an offensive term for an offspring of parents of different races (especially of Caucasian and American Indian ancestry)
- half- + breed (Wiktionary)
“Felix Ward was what used to be called a half-breed.”
“And that handsome-looking fellow putting the capote under his head is a French half-breed, -- you heard him talking; he doesn't like the two Indians turning in next to him.”
“Lit-lit was the daughter of Snettishane, a prominent chief in the tribe, by a half-breed mother, and to him the Factor fared casually one summer day to open negotiations of marriage.”
“He waved his hand toward the Indian camp, where the half-breed was looking steadily across, striving to make out the new-comers.”
“Percival Ford looked at the Kanaka half-breed who played under the hau tree, and it seemed, as by some illumination, that he was gazing on a wraith of himself.”
“And as keeper of the gate, Baptiste the Red, English half-breed and renegade, barred the way.”
“Two men, a government courier and a half-breed voyageur, dragged him out of the surf, saved his cargo, and beached the Alma.”
“Don't doubt it, but I won't let a half-breed outdo me in fair dealing.”
“But the half-breed thrashed the twain, and sent them, bruised and bleeding, about their work.”
“Both men shrugged their shoulders and turned away, the half-breed going back to his own camp.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘half-breed’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Alle Menschen werden Brüder - sooner or later? Derogatory terms for anybody different.
are a lot of these halfs half-thought-out?
Looking for tweets for half-breed.