from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person of mixed racial ancestry, especially of mixed European and Native American ancestry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of mixed ancestry, especially one of Spanish and Native American heritage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The offspring of an Indian or a negro and a European or person of European stock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The offspring of a person of mixed blood; especially, a person of mixed Spanish and American Indian parentage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person of mixed racial ancestry (especially mixed European and Native American ancestry)
Spanish, mixed, mestizo, from Old Spanish, mixed, from Late Latin mixtīcius, from Latin mixtus, past participle of miscēre, to mix; see meik- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)