from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person having one white and one Black parent. See Usage Note at octoroon.
- n. A person of mixed white and Black ancestry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of mixed African and Caucasian descent.
- n. Anyone born to two half-African and half-Caucasian parents.
- n. Anyone who is three quarters African and one quarter Caucasian, or one quarter African and three quarters Caucasian.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The offspring of a negress by a white man, or of a white woman by a negro, -- usually of a brownish yellow complexion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is the offspring of parents of whom one is white and the other a negro.
- Of the color of a mulatto.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an offspring of a black and a white parent
Spanish mulato, small mule, person of mixed race, mulatto, from mulo, mule, from Old Spanish, from Latin mūlus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish or Portuguese mulato ("of mixed breed, young mule"), from mulo ("mule"), from Latin mulus ("mule"). Perhaps an allusion to the hybrid origin of mules.. (Wiktionary)