from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person having one-quarter Black ancestry. See Usage Note at octoroon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of three-fourths Caucasian descent and one fourth African descent.
- adj. Having three-fourths Caucasian descent and one-fourth African descent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The offspring of a mulatto and a white person; a person quarter-blooded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fourth in descent from a negro parent, one parent in each generation having been white.
- n. The offspring of a mulatto and a white person; a person having one fourth African blood.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an offspring of a mulatto and a white parent; a person who is one-quarter black
"No: not half black, only a quarter -- what they call a quadroon in the
"Ah, was it Miss Dumont's -- that is, the quadroon's servant."
On the same evening, what was called a quadroon ball took place.
A quadroon is the child of a mestize mother and a white father, as a mestize is the child of a mulatto mother and a white father.
In Louisiana or the West Indies she would have been called a quadroon, or more loosely, a creole; in North Carolina, where fine distinctions were not the rule in matters of color, she was sufficiently differentiated when described as a bright mulatto.
Even his own child, by a black woman or a mulatto, when the child is called a quadroon, and is very often as white as any English child, is frequently
The love of the quadroon was my source of pleasure; but, alas! pain predominated as my thoughts dwelt upon the Creole!
Havanna, and the "quadroon" balls of New Orleans -- everywhere in the crowded haunts of the world.
Alice Cromley was a quadroon, the greatest Creole beauty the Vieux Carré had ever seen.
In 1890, at the height of the Jim Crow laws and kind of an obsession with defining what black people were, the federal government allowed you, on your census form, to be white, black, mulatto, quadroon or octoroon.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.