from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tone or value halfway between a highlight and a dark shadow.
- n. A picture in which the gradations of light are obtained by the relative darkness and density of tiny dots produced by photographing the subject through a fine screen.
- n. A picture made by such a process.
- n. Music See semitone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Half the interval between two notes on a scale.
- n. A picture made by using the process of half-toning.
- v. To reproduce a photograph or other continuous tone image by the use of dots of various sizes.
Sorry, no etymologies found.