from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tall chest of drawers divided into two sections and supported on four legs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tall chest of drawers raised up on high legs, beginning with the simpler William and Mary style of the late 17th century, culminating in the late baroque 18th century Queen Anne style, progressing into the early Georgian style, with an ornate top and extensive carvings; sometimes called a tallboy. American examples are highly prized by collectors.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who lives high; also, in politics, a highflyer.
- n. A kind of tall chest of drawers, with drawers up to near or above eye level and fouyr legs at the base; it is often divided into lower and upper sections, with the lower section somewhat wider than the upper; also called a tallboy. Compare
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An extreme Tory and High-churchman, supposed to favor Jacobitism.
- n. A tall chest of drawers supported on legs from 18 inches to 2 feet high. Those on shorter legs are called low-boys.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tall chest of drawers divided into two sections and supported on four legs
He went to the lower drawer of a tall "highboy" and, from the tumbled mass of apparel therein took one of his own night garments.
Anyways, comment away please - We are thinking of getting the "highboy" style and the 3 drawer style .... and of course they don't come in coordinating colours so we are thinking of getting one black and the other white (please comment if you think that's crazy too!)
Sotheby's chest of drawers, or highboy, has spent the past 255 years with the New England heirs of Lt. Col.
Sotheby's A 1756 highboy by John Townsend, set for auction by Sotheby's.
But still, dropping $20,000 on a highboy even if it is a good deal is scary.
In the corner nearest her, Loretta considered an impressive dark wood highboy, which she originally assumed held the dentist's stereo system.
On a highboy in the corner of the dining room rests a handsome, black-and-white portrait of Jean, then a stunner in her early 20s, and James, clad in his Army uniform.
Whatever the game, it all starts withfront; you've got to lookgood: the players wore gators and sharp sharkskin suits, or leather jackets and ban-lons, pimped highboy shirts with the wrap-around cufflinks, and thick-and-thin socks in all weather.
“So she would have been stuck as a china cabinet or a highboy instead,” the Doctor said.
Mary, would you set these up on my highboy where I can see them.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.