Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the principal performers in a morris-dance, having a figure of a horse made of wickerwork supported about his waist, and his feet concealed by a housing. He performed antics imitating the motions of a horse, and various juggling tricks.
- n. A person who acts in a foolish, subservient manner.
- n. A wooden figure of a horse, usually provided with rockers, for children to ride on.
- n. A favorite pursuit or topic: now commonly hobby. See hobby, n., 3.
- n. A kind of velocipede; the draisine.
- n. alternative spelling of hobby horse.
“In fact, I'll go further: in the European context, there have been a number of open linkages between neo-Nazi parties like Vlaams Belang and conservatives whose main hobby-horse is Islamism.”
“Tatton ParkThe Hunting Of The Earl Of Rone, Ilfracombe, Fri to 30 MayJoin the fool, grenadiers, drummers, hobby-horse and, maybe, donkey, for raffle, cake and costumed processions in a bizarre local folklore custom.”
“While Cowen's agenda reflects some broad libertarian-leaning economist ideas, Hacker's is more specific to his personal hobby-horse, which is that trends are piling Big Risk onto The Little Guy, and We need to Do Something.”
“However, staying off my hobby-horse (check my blog, I dare ya), none of these resources addresses the issue of disrupted control systems or damaged equipment on the grid.”
“However, staying off my hobby-horse (check my blog, I dare ya), none of these resources addresses the issue of disrupted control systems or damaged equipment on thegrid.”
“I was hoping Matt would post about her instead of his hobby-horse.”
“And what if, beyond all these big principles the French love to ride as their hobby-horse, they drew inspiration, as suggested by MRT, from their Belgian neighbors 'pragmatism, addressing the burqa issue with a mere law on security:”
“Harman repeats her initial argument about the tax and benefits system contributing to this imagined stemming, ignoring conveniently that both penalise work and contribute to inequality - considering it's her hobby-horse she's spectacularly ill-informed.”
“He is, alas, still riding the old 19th century hobby-horse that loves to find a pagan origin in every Christian ceremony.”
“Even the comment boards here have seen mention of my little hobby-horse SIRC.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hobby-horse’.
The words and phrases Billy S uses to describe the act of live and those who partake too often are delicious.
Looking for tweets for hobby-horse.