from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually circular pattern flown by aircraft awaiting clearance to land at an airport.
- n. Informal A state of waiting or delay; a static situation: environmental groups that wish to put oil exploration into a holding pattern.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A path taken by an aircraft waiting to land.
- n. Any failure to advance; useless or unproductive activity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of inaction with no progress and no change
- n. the flight path (usually circular) maintained by an aircraft that is awaiting permission to land
Sorry, no etymologies found.