American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An Eastern smoking pipe designed with a long tube passing through an urn of water that cools the smoke as it is drawn through. Also called hubble-bubble, narghile.
- n. a pipe with a long flexible tube that draws the smoke through water. Originally invented in India, it gained most popularity in the Arab world. It is traditionally used for smoking tobacco, which is often flavored.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A pipe with a long, flexible stem, so arranged that the smoke is cooled by being made to pass through water. Also called
narghileand water pipe. The hubble-bubble is a simple form of this device.
- n. an oriental tobacco pipe with a long flexible tube connected to a container where the smoke is cooled by passing through water
- From Urdu حقہ (huqqā), from Arabic حقة (ħúqqa, "pot, jar"), from حق (ħuqq, "cavity, hollow"). (Wiktionary)
- Urdu, from Arabic ḥuqqa, small box, the hookah's water urn, from ḥaqqa, to be true, be suitable; see ḥqq in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“For emotional transportation, the hookah is the least of it.”
“Which is not to say that if Charlie came home and found a hippie stealing from his stash he would have hesitated to break a hookah over his head.”
“Of course, the water pipes known as hookah, narghiles, sheeshas or hubble-bubbles have been around for centuries.”
“Shaheed soon discovers that inside the hookah is a genie "jinn," as he corrects Shaheed named Shams, who needs Shaheed's help to retrieve a box from Nar.”
Reviews: Pulp fiction in Mega-City, how not to succeed in relationships, mystical transpirings in Egypt, bad news in Chinatown, and Alan Moore gets even weirder. It’s all here, people! | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources
“A hookah is a large water pipe of Middle Eastern origin used to smoke a very smooth tobacco often flavored with fruit or molasses.”
“Young Americans are smoking fewer cigarettes, but researchers say that progress is threatened by an increasingly popular cultural import -- the tall, ornate water pipe known as the hookah.”
“Shisha tobacco comes in a variety of fruit and other flavours and is smoked with a device called a hookah pipe.”
“I asked Mr. T., the Commissioner, and he told me that he thought the tobacco which he smoked in his hookah was the best thing.”
“A hookah is a single or multi-stemmed, often glass-based device used for smoking tobacco.”
“The base of the hookah is a bowl filled with water.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hookah’.
Arabic loanwords in English are words acquired directly from Arabic or else indirectly by passing from Arabic into other languages and then into English. Most entered one or more of the Romance lan...
Words that, as I see it, have some fond connection to the Alice stories through their creation or particular use by Lewis Carroll. I mean to tie them all together with contexty comments!
My big word list.
( personal list )
related (from me):
words ending in 'ah'
Words that happen to make me smile.
Looking for tweets for hookah.