American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several deciduous trees of the genus Ostrya, especially O. virginiana of eastern North America, having unisexual flowers grouped in catkins and fruit clusters resembling hops.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The American ironwood, Ostrya Virginica: so called from the resemblance of the inflated involucre to the fruit of the hop.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) an American tree of the genus Ostrya (Ostrya Virginica) the American ironwood; also, a European species (Ostrya vulgaris).
- n. (Bot.) See under Hop.
- n. any of several trees resembling hornbeams with fruiting clusters resembling hops
- From the resemblance of the fruit to hops. See hornbeam (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘hop hornbeam’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for hop hornbeam.