from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A unit of power in the U.S. Customary System, equal to 745.7 watts or 33,000 foot-pounds per minute.
- n. The power exerted by a horse in pulling.
- n. Informal Effective strength: political horsepower; computer horsepower.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A non-metric unit of power (symbol hp) with various definitions, for different applications. The most common of them is probably the mechanical horsepower, approximately equal to 745.7 watts.
- n. A metric horsepower (symbol often PS from the German abbreviation), approximately equal to 735.5 watts.
- n. Strength
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a unit of power equal to 746 watts
Sorry, no etymologies found.