American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A unit of power in the U.S. Customary System, equal to 745.7 watts or 33,000 foot-pounds per minute.
- n. The power exerted by a horse in pulling.
- n. Informal Effective strength: political horsepower; computer horsepower.
- n. A non-metric unit of power (symbol hp) with various definitions, for different applications. The most common of them is probably the mechanical horsepower, approximately equal to 745.7 watts.
- n. A metric horsepower (symbol often PS from the German abbreviation), approximately equal to 735.5 watts.
- n. Strength
- n. a unit of power equal to 746 watts
“The term horsepower was coined by James Watt (1736-1819), the Scottish inventor and mechanical engineer renowned for his improvements of the steam engine.”
“The term horsepower is a meaningless quantity; it is not a horsepower at all.”
“He introduced the term "horsepower" and the metric unit of power is named after him.”
“Watt also coined the term horsepower, and he invented the flywheel.”
“The Wii lacks in horsepower which is something lots of gamers crave.”
“I think the 25-06 would be ok on either, but with the winds and distance for sheep/goats I feel a tad more horsepower is necessary, as you want to drop that animal in it's tracts and not tumble down the mtn and break the head-gear.”
“Also I agree with Clay the additional horsepower is not worth the expense, recoil, or the noise.”
“Maximum horsepower is 60, but it's rigged with a 40-hp Yamaha motor . $9,595; 800-588-9787; www. g3boats.com”
“What it lacks in horsepower it makes up for with the new-car smell — and only five miles on the odometer.”
“A car that weighs 2000 pounds and has 80 horsepower is unthinkable in the U.S. but it is quite standard in Europe.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘horsepower’.
Names for the next generation of My Little Ponies. Inspired by Star's list.
cat-o-nine-tails, snake in the grass, puppy love, white elephant, crocodile tears, monkey business, keep the wolf fro..., culture vulture, black sheep of th..., scapegoat, ugly duckling, swan song and 260 more...
Hello, and Welcome™! Come and visit our most diverse land of our Animalesque™ adventures. Here at Noah's Park™ we have Virtually All You'd Ever Want To See™. An experience that is related to ani...
Words which are highly likely to be found in the work of learned writers.
Looking for tweets for horsepower.