from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A name of endearment; a pet name.
- n. The use of such names.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A term of endearment; a pet name.
- n. Baby-talk, e.g. bow-wow for dog, choo-choo for train.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pet name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a name of endearment (especially one using a diminutive suffix)
It is what Sidney Baker (The Australian Language) calls a hypocorism, a form ending in - ie, - y, or - ey, or
Now you would think President Obama's stimulus bill would have a earmark to rebuild these levees around the country but it does not but the outrage the liberals threw at Bush for doing nothing smells of hypocorism.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.